Weekly Posting Goal:

Start off your week with a new post from Spark America every Sunday to get you informed and energized, and to give you meaningful, thought provoking information and inspirational dialog to share with your friends for the entire week. I welcome your comments.

Feel free to email me at GaetanoDrake(at)gmail(dot)com

Drake
I invite you to leave your thoughts and opinions in the comment section. Just click on "comments"at the bottom of each post.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Day At The New York State Fair


While on my early morning walk in Eastwood recently, I had time to think about all the things I was going to do at the state fair — all the things that make the fair a great place to be. The food, the horse show, the Center of Progress Building, the entertainment, the Horticulture Building; I could go on forever. But as I continued walking and thinking about the oldest fair in the United States, I had no idea until I got there what the fair is really all about.
The people!
I personally got the opportunity to see my wife, Debbie, compete in one of the best horse shows in the country. As I strolled the fair, I now have the memory of watching my loving daughter and niece bestow their love upon my grandson.
Walking a little farther, I watched a blind girl and her loving mother strolling arm in arm. I could see this beautiful day and all it had to offer; the blind girl could not. I got to see the love in the eyes of parents who had brought their severely disabled son to enjoy a day at the fair. A senior man was fanning a baby he did not know, giving her a few minutes of cool air on a very hot day. The appreciation in the eyes of the parents was worth the price of admission. I got an opportunity to thank a state trooper for protecting me and my family every day of his life.
On the lighter side, I also came upon a young lady with every color of the rainbow – and then some – in her hair. A man with a braided beard. The main event at the fair: people watching!
The Great New York State Fair is not just about the multitude of wonderful things to do. It is really about the people. Next time you go to the fair, I hope you take the time and experience the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment